What is the best diesel pickup truck?
What is the Best Diesel Pickup Truck?
Looking for the best diesel pickup truck?
Diesels are a powerful thing.
According to Google, 98% of Class 8 trucks (also commonly referred to as semi-trucks or 18-wheelers) are powered by diesel engines.
What’s more, these powerful diesel motors were entrusted with over $11 Billion in U.S. domestic cargo in recent years.*
With so much riding on them, you just know that these diesel motors are able to get the job done.
But did you know that diesel engine powered pick-ups trucks also made for great everyday vehicles?
Who Drives Diesel Trucks?
On the strength of features such as their excellent towing capability, diesel trucks are particularly popular among the following occupations:
- Construction workers
- Long-haul Truckers
- Other logistics related personnel
Of course, while trucks with diesel engines are a big hit amongst those who perform heavy-duty type jobs, they’re a great option for everyone else too; in particular, people who are looking to save money on gas over the long-term.
Why Should I Choose A Diesel Truck?
While it is true that:
- Diesel gas costs more per gallon than non-diesel gas
- The cost of diesel gas tends to fluctuate over time
it’s also fair to state that vehicles equipped with diesel engines get better gas mileage than non-diesels. This, in turn, may enable you to save money on gas over time by going diesel.
How Long Can Diesel Trucks Last?
Looking for longevity? Diesel trucks have much longer lifespans than non-diesels. In fact, diesel trucks can run for at least 500,000 miles and for as much as 800,000 miles (Google).
How Diesel Engine Works
Diesel engines─as opposed to gasoline engines─spray fuel into the combustion chamber once the air inside it has been adequately pressurized. The process is generally as follows:
- You start the ignition
- A START light lights up
- Fuel pumps deliver fuel from fuel tank to engine
- Fuel injection pump pressurizes fuel into the delivery tube.
- Fuel, air, and “fire” meet in the cylinders.
- Combustion spreads from fuel in the pre-combustion chamber to fuel/ air in the combustion chamber itself.
The 2018 Ram 2500
The 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine option that comes with the 2018 Ram 2500 boasts the following features:
- 180-Amp Alternator
- “Cummins Turbo Diesel” Badge
- The Cummins® badge identifies the Turbo Diesel engine at a glance.
- Current Generation Engine Controller
- The current generation engine controller determines the air-fuel ratio, ignition timing, idle speed and variable valve timing for optimum engine performance and efficiency.
- Diesel Exhaust Brake
- The two-mode smart diesel exhaust brake helps control the vehicle’s speed when going downhill.
- Electronically Controlled Throttle
- Ram Active Air
- Selective Catalytic Reduction (UREA-DEF)
What’s more, the U.S. News & World Report has also listed past Ram 2500s in their Best Diesel Trucks of The Year mentions.
Decide for yourself what is the best diesel pickup truck.
Visit Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram of Marysville to test drive a 2018 Ram 2500 today.
*U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics and Federal Highway Administration, Freight Analysis Framework, Version 4.3.1, 2017.